Sunday, March 10, 2013

Trust


March 1, 2013

Trust
After the amazing response to "What Are You Reading?" from February 4th, I am paying close attention to my current books. I admit that I am voracious and maybe not always discerning in my reading habits but I reopened Simon Sinek's Start  With Why (http://www.startwithwhy.com/)  and began reading with a new attentiveness.
I was stopped in my tracks when I got to The Influence of Others p112 when Sinek asks who do you trust more, someone you know or someone you don't know? My answer was immediate - someone I know. Why? Is that true? How do you explain celebrity endorsement? politics? advertising?
I do make purchases on amazon based on reader's reviews. I never plan a trip without checking TripAdvisor  I have the Yelp app on my Android phone which I bought after reading user reviews.I seem to make spending decisions based on advice from people that I think I know. Does  following the same reviewers of books, phones, eateries or travel on a regular basis mean that I know them? I seem to trust them more than experts (who I imagine are being paid for their contributions).

I received 5 references this month from current clients and will likely benefit from their trust and recommendations. I connected individuals and groups over the past month because I felt they could be of value to each other. I make lots (maybe all) my decisions based on trust but do I really understand how I use the criteria or intuition to choose between an array of possibilities? I will continue to ponder.
How do you make decisions? Is trust part of your equation?

Reminder
Remarkable people live remarkable lives by using their strengths to strengthen themselves and others.

I am hoping you can help identify some remarkable people you have met or heard about. I would like to share their stories in this newsletter, on a blog, Facebook and in some writing I am doing. If you have been impacted by someone who demonstrated their commitment to you, your family or your community, please submit their name, a short story, and contact information either on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableLives)  or via email to bob@remarkablepeople.ca
Thank you.

Bob McInnis
Provocateur, Coach, Consultant

No comments:

Post a Comment